Definition:
-Self-government or the right to self-government; self-
determination
-Independence
College is the first step in becoming autonomous. Depending
on a person and their situation usually kids are nurtured their whole lives.
Parents are always there for them when good things happen or when things go
wrong. In high school, you have the responsibilities of an adult but have the
ability to act like a kid and get away with little things. Once college hits
you in the face, all of that is gone. You no longer can be half adult and half
child, you become a full time adult. Mommy and Daddy aren’t right next to you
anymore to help you through every single little problem you have. Yes, your
parents will always be there for you, but they are done babying you.
You are literally starting to live on your own. You’re
learning how to do things, and it could be through good experiences or bad
ones. For me I learned how badly I was taking advantage of money. I had worked
all summer and spent it carelessly. Coming to Southern I still had lot of money
left in my account. I told myself that I would only use it for emergencies. It
was my own bank account, and it was my money so I could do whatever my heart
desired. By the end of the month, the amount of money left in my bank account
was terrifying.
I hit rock bottom when there was a dollar left in my
account, and my parents told me they wouldn’t supply me with money for the rest
of the year. The deal was that I needed to get a job or my parents would
completely cut off helping me stay. Thankfully I found a job, and now I'm
working hard hours to earn money for myself, gas for my car, and with the
holiday season here I need to buy gifts for people and my family. I took for
granted the money I had and now I have to work harder to earn it. It’s not easy
balancing a job and school but its part of being independent and being
responsible for yourself.

No comments:
Post a Comment